Watch the Trailer Below!
No Running is a feature documentary that focuses on Physical Education in the school system.
Computers, tablets, smartphones, videogames: a short list of what will keep any kid on the couch for hours. None of these devices require any more physical activity than the extreme workout of the fingertips.
Gone are the days when “go play outside” meant actually running around for a game of tag until the streetlights turn on. Youths’ physical activity is not what it use to be.
Sedentary lifestyles are the new normal and threaten a laundry list of health problems in children and teens: Heart disease, type 2 diabetes, obesity, and even social discrimination. It boils down to simply the lack of movement — ranking in the top 10 for children’s health concerns. Meanwhile, funding for physical education in schools continues to dwindle.
Sure, the world has changed from the days of “go play outside.” But how much? In many families, both parents work leaving video games and Internet devices to raise their kids; devices that lead to inactive lives.
When it comes to getting kids active, our schools hold a special advantage: they have our kids all week long. They have immediate access to gymnasiums and sports fields. They have their attention.
No Running delves into the important questions.
- How is physical education regarded by kids?
- Are kids’ physical literacy compromised?
- Can school curricula expand for a practical understanding on how the body works?
- How inactivity is now called the “new cancer”?
- Are there any solutions?
- Is there a resistance to these solutions? If so, why?
- Would kids and teens have the forethought to even care?
- What does the future of physical education look like?
Interested in screening this film in your community or classroom?
We would be grateful if you would let us know when you download so we can send a thank you. We also provide guidance on leading discussions after the viewing, as well as downloadable materials for your audience. Find out how by connecting today!
A simple strategy for discussions would be:
– Discuss 3 things that resonated for you from the doc
– Identify 2 things you can control
– Commit to 1 thing you can do to support the movement.
We are grateful to the following organizations for supporting this film.
No Running is made possible with funding from TELUS Optik Local and is available for free on demand on TELUS Optik TV.
Producers: Matt Young / Atlee James
Director / Editing & Design: Atlee James